The California Department of Industrial Relations cited Foster Poultry Farms Inc. and four staffing agencies for Covid-19 violations at a location in Livingston, California.
It opened an inspection after being notified that an employee had died from Covid-19 complications. The department reported that it determined Foster Farms and one of its staffing agencies did not timely report the Covid-19 fatality as required.
In addition, the department conducted a separate inspection at the facility’s distribution center.
Citations were issued to:
- Foster Poultry Farms Inc. (poultry plan), $103,100 in proposed penalties
- Foster Poultry Farms Inc. (distribution center), $78,400 in proposed penalties
- Human Bees Inc., dba Human Bees, $41,000 in proposed penalties
- Marcos Renteria Ag Services Inc., $36,000 in proposed penalties
- Intermountain Employment Services, dba Ascend Staffing, $18,000 in proposed penalties
- Staffing Solutions Inc., dba Balance Staffing, $16,200 in proposed penalties
The Department of Industrial Relations cited Foster Farms $103,100, for five serious, one repeat regulatory, and two regulatory violations at its Livingston facility and $78,400 for three serious, one repeat regulatory, and two regulatory violations at the distribution center. Regulatory violations were issued in both Foster Farms inspections and to Human Bees Inc. for not timely reporting work-related fatalities, according to the department. Additionally, it issued serious violations related to their Injury and Illness Prevention Programs many of which stemmed from failing to properly communicate, assess, correct and train on Covid-19 workplace hazards. The third serious violation at the plant was cited for a blocked eyewash station.
The department keeps a full list of companies that were cited for Covid-related violations online.